Tutor Training Workshop Schedule and Content
The Tutor Training Workshop is conducted at the Center in February, May, and October of each year, over the course of two days, beginning on Friday evening, 5:30 pm - 9:30 pm, and continuing on Saturday, 9:00 am - 3:30 pm.
Sr. Janice Brown, O.P.
Sr. Rita Sieg, O.P.
See workshop content below.
Session 1: Friday, 5:30 pm - 9:30 pm
- History/Cause and Effects/Illiteracy Facts/Binder
- Introduction to Skill Book 1 used by tutors and students
- Laubach: Method and Alternative Method for Teaching; Group Practice
- Teaching students to print/write letters of the alphabet
- Speech Sounds/Speech Patterns
- The Language Experience Approach
- Overview of Skillbook II
- Contrast ESL/ABE and ESL Techniques
Session 2: Saturday, 8:30 am - 3:30 pm
- Continental Breakfast
- Introduction of Participants
- Sensitivity to the Non-reader
- Overview of Skill Book III
- Team Building with Student - Ways to say "Good Job"
- Learning Styles
- Computer Software
- Skill Book IV & Group Practice
- Supplementary Material/Resources
- Review and Reinforce
- Writing Skills
- Comprehension/Spelling/Reading for Fluency (Echo, Alternate and Duet Methods)
- Reading for Everyday Living
- New Tutoring Experience, Ladder of Literacy
- Lesson Planning/Goals/Weekly Reporting
- Case Studies/Tutor Data Forms
- Workshop Review/Questions/Evaluation/Jeopardy
- Presentation of Certificates
- ProLiteracy Membership
- 3:30 pm Adjourn
For more information, call the Center at 313-267-1000.