In the U.S. did you know that...
- 14% of Adults read at or below a fifth grade level.
- Only 29% can read above an eighth grade level.
- Among those with the lowest literacy rates, 43% live in poverty!
- 75% of state prison inmates and 59% of federal prison inmates did not complete highschool or are low literate.
- Low literacy adds an estimated $230 billion dollars to the country's annual health care costs.
- The effects of low literacy costs the U.S. more than $225 billion each year in non-productivityin the workforce and loss of tax revenue due to unemployment.
- More than half of contries with datat have a youth literacy rate of 95% or higher!